Friday, October 12, 2007

The "ick" factor

Last night, our Bradley instructor showed us a video of several births, some of which included episiotomies. A. had to turn away, while I could mostly watch it. I found that interesting, since I am extremely sensitive to gore and therefore refuse to watch many movies that A. would like to see. Afterwards he said he distinguishes clearly in his mind between real and fictional gore, and is only sensitive to the real. I guess I didn't learn that skill.

Thinking about it, I've decided that the Bradley instructor showing us a graphic episiotomy, blood and all, is not qualitatively different from the forced-birthers waving their bloody fetus pictures. Surgery is gross. I wouldn't want to watch an appendectomy, but that doesn't mean I would decline one if it were indicated.

I will still be doing what I can to avoid an episiotomy. On the basis of its merits, not its ick factor.

1 comment:

Daisy Deadhead said...

I was suitably drugged-up but still awake and conscious for my C-section. I was looking into the eyes of my jaded tough-guy ex-husband, who was watching the surgeons. When they "made the cut"--I can still remember seeing his eyes WIDEN alarmingly, the only indication I had that it was happening. He, too, liked gross movies and violence, but I never saw his eyes widen LIKE THAT.
It thought, wow, even HE is bothered by it!

Cue my Pig Pen voice, from Charlie Brown Christmas: Kinda makes you wanna treat me with a little more respect, doesn't it?